The Sálim Ali Centre for Ornithology and Natural History
was formally inaugurated on 5th June 1990 and registered as a society under the Society
Registration Act 1860. In appreciation of his lifelong services to India's bird life and
conservation of natural resources the Sálim Ali Centre for Ornithology and Natural History
(SACON) was named after Dr. Sálim Ali. SACON was dedicated to the nation on February 11,
2000 by the Honourable Minister for Environment and Forests, Government of India,
Mr. T.R. Baalu.