I studied Botany for my bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Calicut, Kozhikode. For my Ph.D. research at Saurashtra University, Rajkot and Wildlife Institute of India, Dehradun, I studied on ecology of montane grasslands of Eravikulam National Park, Western Ghats. Later, I joined French Institute of Pondicherry, Pondicherry and involved in projects on Rationalization of Protected Area Network in Kerala and Preparation of Landscape Level Management Plan for the forest areas of Nelliyampathi Hills and preparation of perspective plans for the elephant reserves of Kerala. I joined the Centre for Environment and Development in 2007 as program director and supervised several projects related to conservation and management such as forests in carbon sequestration, identifying potential areas for conservation reserves in Agasthyamalai Biosphere Reserve of Kerala part, mainstreaming coastal and marine biodiversity conservation into production sectors, methodology for mapping and delineation of coastal ecological sensitive areas and preparation of tourism plan for Munnar. I joined the Salim Ali Centre for Ornithology and Natural History in 2012 and have since pursued research programme in landscape ecology.
- B.Sc. Calicut University, Kozhikode, Kerala, India, 1985 – First Class
- M.Sc Calicut University, Kozhikode, Kerala, India, 1987 – First Class
- B. Ed, Calicut University, Kozhikode, Kerala, India, 1991 – First Class
- Ph D, Saurashtra University, Rajkot , Gujarat, India 1998
Over 25 years of experience in conducting biodiversity and natural resource based studies and strategic planning in different landscapes and forest types of India
AREA OF SPECILIZATION
Conservation and management of natural resources at landscape level, protected area management, biodiversity conservation, plant taxonomy, GIS and remote sensing, and climate change.
|Father’s Name||V. Chindan|
|Date of birth||10.04.1965|
|Present Post held||Principal Scientist
Salim Ali Centre for Ornithology and Natural History
Tamil Nadu India 641108
|Pay Scale||Pay Band|
|Address for correspondence||Principal Scientist, Landscape Ecology Division
Salim Ali Centre for Ornithology and Natural History (SACON)
Coimbatore 641108 Tamil Nadu
|B Sc (Botany)||Calicut University, Kozhikode||1985||First|
|M Sc (Botany)||Calicut University, Kozhikode||1987||First|
|B Ed||Natural Sciences||1991||First|
|Ph D||Wildlife Sciences (Botany||1998|
- Worked as Technical Assistant in Silent Valley National Park, Kerala Forests and Wildlife Department (from February 1991- March1992)
- Worked as Research Assistant in Wildlife Institute of India, Dehradun (April 1992- September 1993)
- Worked as Junior research Fellow in Wildlife Institute of India, Dehradun (October 1993- September 1995)
- Worked as Senior research Fellow in Wildlife Institute of India, Dehradun (October 1996-August 1997)
- Worked as Research Associate in Wildlife Institute of India, Dehradun (September 1998-December 2000)
- Worked as Ecologist in French Institute of Pondicherry, Pondicherry (February 2001- May 2007)
- Worked as Programme Coordinator in Centre for Environment and Development, Thiruvananthapuram (June 2007- February 2012)
- Worked as Principal Scientist in Salim Ali Centre for Ornithology and Natural History since March 2012.
RESEARCH PROJECTS CARRIED OUT
- Ecological Studies on the Grasslands of Eravikulam National Park (1992 – 1997)
- Survey of Privately owned wildlife habitats in the states of Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh (1998)
- Biodiversity Conservation Prioritization Area Progamme – Funded by WWF-India(1998)
- Preparation of Biodiversity Conservation Strategies and Action Plan- World Bank aided Kerala Forestry Project (2002)
- Perspective Plan for Elephant Reserves in Kerala – Project Elephant (2003)
- Conservation Review and Rationalization of Protected Area Network in Kerala – World Bank aided Kerala Forestry Project (2003-2004)
- Biodiversity Conservation and Rural Livelihood Improvements Projects (2006) Funded by Ministry of Environment and Forests, GoI
- Mapping the distribution of Rhododendron arboreum nilagiricum (Zenker) Tagg, using Ecological Niche Modelling and Develop Conservation Action Plan – Funded by American Rhododendron Society (2007)
- Preparation of Landscape Management Plan for Nelliyampathi Hills – World Bank aided Kerala Forestry Project (2004-2007)
- Preparation of Tourism Development Plan for Munnar in Idukki District (2008) – Funded by Kerala Tourism Development Corporation
- Management Effectiveness of Coastal Zone Environmental Projects Funded by World Bank aided ICZMP Project (2008)
- Methodology for Mapping and Delineation of Coastal Ecologically Sensitive Areas World Bank aided ICZMP Project (2008)
- Environmental and Social Assessment of ICZM Projects World Bank aided ICZMP Project (2009)
- Study of Keystone Species and Associates in Agasthyamala Biosphere Reserve, Western Ghats Funded by Ministry of Environment and Forests, GoI (2007 to 2011)
- Catchment Area Treatment Plan for Kanupur Irrigation Project, Orissa Funded by Water Resources Department, Odisha (2010)
- Mainstreaming Coastal & Marine Biodiversity Conservation into the production sectors of East Godavari Estuary, Andhra Pradesh – Funded by United Nations Development Program (UNDP -India)
- Identifying potential areas as conservation Reserves in Agasthyamala Biosphere Reserve – CEPF Grant
- Forests in Carbon Sequestration: Estimating Carbon Sequestration Potential Using Remote Sensing and GIS in Kerala, Western Ghats – Funded by Ministry of Environment and Forests, GoI
- Fishing Cat Survey in Kerala (2013) funded by Panthera Foundation
- Habitat Assessment of Mangalavanam Bird Sanctuary (2014) funded by Forests and Wildlife Department, Kerala
- Habitat structure and species sorting in the felid guild of Eaglenest Wildlife Sanctuary, Arunachal Pradesh (on going) – Department of Science and Technology, GoI
- Land use and management plans for production landscapes (on-going) United Nations Development Program (UNDP -India)
- Developing site-specific eco-restoration protocol based on existing community requirements (on-going) United Nations Development Program (UNDP -India)
SEMINARS/SYMPOSIUM ATTENDED (NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL)
- Presented a paper on Climate change and Biodiversity in Kerala Environment Congress 2015 organized by Centre for Environment and Development at Kottayam on May 2015
- Presented a paper on Approach for Landscape Level Conservation In India 2013. National Workshop on Strategies for Conservation and Management of Large Landscapes.Organised by MoEF, GOI. India Habitat Centre, July 8-9, 2013
- Presented a paper on Tree diversity in Silent Valley National Park, Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve India.National Conference on Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve and Silver Jubilee Celebration.Department of Zoology and Wildlife Department.Government Arts College, Udagamandalam, Nilgiris. August 28-30, 2013,
- Vegetation Types and Phytogeography of Western Ghats; Presented in National Seminar on Western Ghats: Biogeography, Biodiversity and Conservation; March 2013 Manjeri, Kerala
- Presented a paper on Dynamics of Forest Cover – a review of the State of Forest Reports, India. NASA LCLUC International Regional Science Meeting at Karunya University during 10-14 January 2013
- Presented a paper onSacred groves of Kerala – a cultural and ritual model for maintaining ecological diversity in a human dominated landscape. International Conference on Natural History of Indian Biodiversity during 4-5 October 2012 at Salar Jung Museum, Hyderabad as part of the XI Conference of Parties Convention on Biological Diversity organized by National Museum of Natural History, National Biodiversity Authority, and Andhra Pradesh State Biodiversity Board.
- Presented a paper on Identifying Potential Areas as Conservation Reserves in the Agasthyamala Biosphere Reservein the National Workshop on CEPF by ATREE on 15th and 16thArpil 2011.
- Presented a paper onGreen Initiative for Sustainable Cities- An Indian Perspective in the International Conference on Sustainable Urban Local Bodies held at Thiruvananthapuram on 21st to 25th of April 2011.
- Paper presented on Global Warming: need for local initiativesin the National Seminar on Global Warming. Kerala Forest Department, Thiruvananthapuram
- Paper presented on Multi-scale and surface patterns analysis: application to the relationship between forest pattern and distribution of large herbivoresin the inaugural conference of the Asian Chapter of the Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation (ATB). Mahabalipuram, India.
- Paper presented onEcological analysis of spatial distributions of important wildlife species in the western Anamalai region (Kerala) in National Seminar on Wildlife Biodiversity Conservation. 13th to 15th October, 2006. Department Ecology and Environmental Sciences, Pondicherry University.
- Paper presented on Regional Level Fire Pattern Analyses and Vegetation Dynamics in Tropical Ecosystems, Western Ghats (India) in third International Fire Ecology and Management Congress to be held on November 13-17, 2006 in San Diego, CA, USA.
- Paper presented on Biodiversity Information System- a tool for natural resource management and conservation” paper presented in the PRITHVI 2005 – Global Ecological Meet Conducted at Thiruvananthapuram during 19 to 27th February 2005.
- Paper presented on Conservation and Management of Sacred Groves in Kerala as Community Reserves in the National Workshop on Strategies for Conservation of Sacred Groves held at Institute of Forest Genetics and Tree Breeding Centre, Coimbatore during 27th and 28th May.
- Paper presented on Conservation Strategy for RET and Endemic Plant Species of Kerala in the National Workshop on Conservation and research needs of the Rare, Endangered and Threatened tree species in Kerala part of the Western Ghats, conducted by Kerala Forest Research Institute, Peechi, Thrissur at Thiruvananthapuram on 14th February.
- Paper presented onVegetation dynamism along the shola-grassland edges in Eraviklulam National Park, Western Ghats” in the International Symposium on Tropical species, Communities and Ecosystems held at Thiruvananthapuram by TBGRI on December 1-7.
- Paper presented on Biodiversity of Montane grasslands in the High Ranges of Kerala and its Conservation” paper presented in the National seminar on biodiversity of High Ranges conducted by High Range Wildlife and Environment Preservation Association, Munnar on 2nd October.
- Paper presented onGrassland communities and distribution of NilgiriTahr in Eravikulam National Park, Kerala. Paper presented in the National Workshop on Grassland Management conducted by Indian Institute of Forest Management, Bhopal, 2-4 February
- Anoop N.R R NagarajanBabu S and P.V Karunakaran2015. A short note on Sightings of Merlin Falco columbariusinNilgiri Biosphere Reserve The Western Ghats (Accepted Journal of Bombay Natural HistorySociety).
- Ranjini J, Shomita Mukherjee, Karunakaran PV and RamanaArthreya 2013. On the occurrence of the Fishing Cat PrionailurusviverrinusBennet 1883 (Carnivora: Felidae) In Coastal Kerala India. Journal of Threatened Taxa 6(3): 5569-5573
- C. Gaucherel, M. Balasubramaniam, P.V. Karunakaran, B. R. Ramesh, G. Muthusankar, C.Hely and P. Couteron. At which scales does landscape structure influence the spatial distribution of elephants (Elephas maximus) in the Western Ghats (India). Journal of Zoology 280 (185-194), 2010.
- Gunawardene, N.R, Dulip Daniels, A.E., Gunatilleke, I.A.U.N, Gunatilleke, C.V.S., Karunakaran, P.V.GeethaNayak, K. Prasad, S., Puyravaud, P., Ramesh, B.R., Subramanian, K.A and Vasanthy, G. 2007. A brief overview of the Western Ghtas – Sri Lanka biodiversity hotspot. Current Science Vol 93 (11) 1567-1572.
- Karunakaran, P.V. and M. Balasubramanian 2007. Sighting of Nilgiritahr (Hemitragushylocrius, Ogilby) in Vazhachal Forest Division, Kerala. Journal of Bombay Natural History Society.
- Rawat, G.S, P.V. Karunakaran, and V.K Uniyal. 2003. Shola grasslands of the Western Ghats: conservation status and management needs. ENVIS Bulletin on Grassland Ecosystems and Agroforestry 1(1):57-64
- Binita Narayan, Karunakaran, P.V., and D.K. Singh 2001. Contribution to the Bryoflora of Great Himalayan National Park, Kullu, Himachal Pradesh. Indian Journal of Forestry. Vol. 24 (2): 265-278.
- Giriraj, M. Irfan-Ullah, B.R.Ramesh, P.V. Karunakaran, and AnkeJentsch 2008. Mapping the Potential Distribution of Rhododendron arboreum ssp. nilagiricum (Zenker) Tagg (Ericaceae), an Endemic plant using Ecological Niche Modeling.Current ScienceVolume: 94, Issue: 12 Pages: 1605-1612
ARTICLES IN BOOK/BOOK CHAPTERS
- V. Karunakaran, Pierre Couteron, B. R. Ramesh and S. Aravajy. Stand and Floristic Structural Variability of Natural Vegetation. In Forest Landscape of the Southern Western Ghats, India: Biodiversity, Human Ecology and Management Strategies. (eds) B.R. Ramesh and RajanGurukkal. French Institute of Pondicherry, Pondicherry.
- V. Karunakaran, M. Balasubramanian, M.Amruth, RajanGurukkal and B.R.Ramesh. Strategies and Actions-II: Dealing with the Constraints. In Forest Landscape of the Southern Western Ghats, India: Biodiversity, Human Ecology and Management Strategies. (eds) B.R. Ramesh and RajanGurukkal. French Institute of Pondicherry, Pondicherry.
- R. Ramesh, P. V. Karunakaran, Pierre Couteron, Muthu Sankar and Danny Lo Seen. Forest Types and Status: Ecological characteristics and Impact of Disturbance. In Forest Landscape of the Southern Western Ghats, India: Biodiversity, Human Ecology and Management Strategies. (eds) B.R. Ramesh and RajanGurukkal. French Institute of Pondicherry, Pondicherry.
- Amruth M., P.V. Karunakaran, M. Balasubramanian and B.R.Ramesh. Imperatives of Change: Reflections on the Current Practices and Policies of Forest Management. In Forest Landscape of the Southern Western Ghats, India: Biodiversity, Human Ecology and Management Strategies. (eds) B.R. Ramesh and RajanGurukkal. French Institute of Pondicherry, Pondicherry.
- R.Ramesh, P.V. Karunakaran, M. Amruth, M. Balasubramanian and RajanGurukkal.Strategies and Actions-I: Accounting for Values. In Forest Landscape of the Southern Western Ghats, India: Biodiversity, Human Ecology and Management Strategies. (eds) B.R. Ramesh and RajanGurukkal. French Institute of Pondicherry, Pondicherry.
- Balasubramanian, Pierre Couteron, and P. V. Karunakaran. Richness of Vertebrates and Spatial Features of Selected Large Mammals and Arboreal Fauna. In Forest Landscape of the Southern Western Ghats, India: Biodiversity, Human Ecology and Management Strategies. (eds) B.R. Ramesh and RajanGurukkal. French Institute of Pondicherry, Pondicherry.
- Amruth, RajanGurukkal and P.V. Karunakaran. Resources in the Forest Landscape: Availability, Utilisation and Sustainability. In Forest Landscape of the Southern Western Ghats, India: Biodiversity, Human Ecology and Management Strategies. (eds) B.R. Ramesh and RajanGurukkal. French Institute of Pondicherry, Pondicherry.
- RajanGurukkal, B.R.Ramesh, M.Amruth and P.V.Karunakaran. Competing Claims and Multiple Stakes: Institutions for Integrating Stakeholder Interests in Forest Management. In Forest Landscape of the Southern Western Ghats, India: Biodiversity, Human Ecology and Management Strategies. (eds) B.R. Ramesh and RajanGurukkal. French Institute of Pondicherry, Pondicherry.
- Johnsingh, A.J.T., G.S. Rawat, S. Sathyakumar, P.V. Karunakaran and Jatinder Kaur. Prioritisation of Areas for Biodiversity Conservation of Alpine Zone in the Trans- and Greater Himalaya in India. In Setting Biodiversity Conservation Priorities for India, (eds) Shekhar Singh, A.R.K. Sasthry, Raman Mehta and Vishaish Uppal. WWF-India, New Delhi. Pp 212-225.
- Karunakaran,P.V., G.S.Rawat and V.K.Uniyal. Ecology and conservation of montane grasslands of Eravikulam National Park. Wildlife Institute of India, Dehra Dun.
- R. Ramesh, P.V. Karunakaran, M. Balasubramanian, Danny Lo Seen and O.P. Kaler. A Brief Outline of Biodiversity Conservation Strategy and Action Plan for Kerala. Kerala Forest Department, Forest Head Quarters, Thiruvananthapuram
ARTICLES IN NEWSLETTER
- Karunakaran, P.V., V.K.Uniyal&G.S.Rawat. The big bloom in Newsletter, Wildlife Institute of India vol 9 (4) pp 8-9
- Karunakaran, P.V. The land called ‘High Ranges’ Newsletter, Wildlife Institute of India. vol 3 (4) pp 10-11.
- Nishad KA, Azeez PA and Karunakaran PV 2012. Review on Proceedings of Kerala Environment Congress 2012, Focal theme Agriculture and Environment: SACON News, Vol 9 (4): 6-7
- Mukherjee Shomita, Karunakaran P. V., and J. Ranjini. 2013. Fishing for cats in Coastal Kerala SACON News Vol 10: 5-6
- Karunakaran P. V., Mukherjee Shomita, and J. Ranjini. 2013. Some observations on the Mangroves of Kerala. SACON News Vol 10: 3-4
TECHNICAL AND ADVISORY SERVICES
- Member, Expert Committee on Assessing Environmental and Biodiversity issues in Kerala – constituted by Kerala State Biodiversity Board